The British Virgin Islands (BVI) are known for their stunning natural beauty, pristine beaches, and vibrant culture. However, one of the lesser-known attributes of this Caribbean paradise is its exceptional fishing opportunities. Whether you’re a seasoned angler or a novice looking to try your hand at fishing, the BVI offers an unforgettable experience for all. The BVI really is a dream come true for fishing enthusiasts. Everyone needs to have a fishing permit and these are easily accessible on-line.
A Wealth of Fishing Opportunities
- Deep-Sea Fishing: The BVI is renowned for its deep-sea fishing, offering an array of game fish species such as marlin, sailfish, mahi-mahi, and tuna. The deep waters surrounding the islands provide the ideal habitat for these trophy fish, making it a popular destination for anglers seeking thrilling battles with these giants of the sea.
- Inshore Fishing: If you prefer a calmer fishing experience, inshore fishing in the BVI is equally rewarding. The calm, crystal-clear waters teem with snapper, grouper, and other reef fish. You can cast your line from the shoreline or hire a local guide to take you to the best spots, including hidden coves and coral reefs.
- Fly Fishing: Fly fishing enthusiasts will find the flats around the BVI and in particular, Anegada, perfect for pursuing bonefish, permit, and tarpon. The flats’ shallow waters and abundant marine life make this a fantastic destination for those looking to test their fly fishing skills.
- Trolling Fishing: Trolling a line behind your yacht can be very rewarding. Try Trolling your way up to Anegada, and even at slow speeds, you can possibly snag some decent catches.
- There is a great spot close to the Queen Elizabeth Bridge which connects Beef Island to Tortola and although the current is fairly strong, you can still catch mackerel, tuna and kingfish.
Why Fish in the BVI?
- Breathtaking Scenery: The British Virgin Islands are renowned for their stunning natural landscapes. Imagine fishing against a backdrop of lush green hills, pristine beaches, and crystal-clear waters. The scenic beauty alone is reason enough to choose the BVI as your fishing destination.
- Year-Round Fishing: The BVI offers year-round fishing opportunities, with various fish species being abundant in different seasons. Whether you visit in the winter, spring, summer, or fall, you’ll always find something biting.
- Local Expertise: Local fishing guides and charters in the BVI possess extensive knowledge of the area’s waters and fish behaviour. They can take you to the best fishing spots, provide valuable tips, and ensure a safe and enjoyable fishing experience.
- Accessibility: Getting to the BVI is relatively straightforward. You can fly into Terrance B. Lettsome International Airport (EIS) on Beef Island, which is well-connected to major airports in the Caribbean and the United States. From there, you can easily access various fishing destinations within the islands.
- Ecotourism Opportunities: The BVI is committed to preserving its marine ecosystem, making it an excellent choice for eco-conscious anglers. Many fishing charters and guides adhere to sustainable practices to ensure the long-term health of the local marine life.
- Unique Fish Species: The BVI offers a chance to catch some unique and exotic fish species that are not commonly found in other fishing destinations. This includes fish like the wahoo, barracuda, and the challenging bonefish.
Fishing in the British Virgin Islands is a dream come true for anglers of all levels. With its diverse fishing opportunities, breathtaking scenery, local expertise, and commitment to sustainability, the BVI offers an unparalleled fishing experience. Whether you’re looking for the thrill of deep-sea fishing or a tranquil day of inshore fishing, the BVI has it all. So, pack your fishing gear and get ready to embark on an unforgettable angling adventure in the Caribbean paradise that is the British Virgin Islands.